Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Remembering May 13th 1969

I was 7 years old when May 13th (1969) occurred. We lived in the Pekililing Flats in Kuala Lumpur (that particular block still stands although there were a few blocks that have been torn down already if I'm not mistaken) at the time. This area was just a stone's throw away for the Chow Kit Area, which is often thought of as one of the main areas where the "trouble" started.

I remember my Dad picked me up from my school (St. John's Primary at Bukit Nanas) & we caught a Taxi to go home (I found this odd as we usually took the bus). Also my Mum usually picked me up from school but she was alreday almost due to give birth to my youngest sister (who was born on the 31st of May 1969).

Some memories are vague but I still remember (either that evening or the next evening) a lot of commotion & people shouting outside our door. I dread to think why they were shouting. I also remember the Curfew that was enforced but I can't remember how long the Curfew lasted. In the evenings my Dad used to go out to the shops near by to buy food & other groceries.

I also remember listening my parents talking (when I was supposed to be sleeping!) about certain sencless atrocities that they heard being committed. In short, it was a scarry time & I hope we never see another incident happen like that happen in Malaysia again. However, we can't just hope. We have to pray & work together towards a better Malaysia, so that the May 13 will only be remembered as a bad memory & nothing else.

Click on the followingLink to take you to Anas Zubedy's Blog for his Unity Series - Let's recolor May 13

http://letusaddvalue.blogspot.com/



Please also take a few minutes to check out the Sun Daily's article today  - End fear of 'May 13'

Where over a 100 civil society groups called on the government to make May 13 a day to cherish peace, reason and freedom, instead of a date which continuously creates fear in the society.

God Bless Malaysia!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Can I have your contact, like your e-mail address? I think you can help me with my research about the Portuguese in Malacca.
    "Obrigado" (thanks), from a Portuguese of Macau.

    ReplyDelete